Sick Building Syndrome
Hi there! Have you ever walked into a building and felt like it gave you a headache?
Yes this is serious and today we will talk about Sick Building Syndrome AKA SBS!.
If you have been following Dust Chasers Blog lately, you would know that we write about
Anything and everything when it comes to indoor air quality, we are more than
Just an air duct cleaning company, we strive to study and research because we strongly
Believe knowledge is the key!
So today we are going to discuss SBS! Sick Building Syndrome is a real condition!
It is very difficult to diagnose and sometimes believed to be Biological and chemical contaminants
And gases in a building that can cause health problems after visiting a building!
These possible health problems include:
• Acute Odor Sensitivity
• Itchy Skin
• Irritation of the eyes, nose or throat
Unfortunately the issue here is that SBS is very difficult to diagnose and it could be blamed
On stress, allergies or job dissatisfaction, but if enough people who spend time in one
Building complain of the same kind of symptoms it is definitely the indoor air quality
In the building!
What are the causes of Sick Building Syndrome?
1. Biological Contaminants: These are some things that we at Dust Chasers are
Very familiar with, for instance Mold pollen, viruses and bacteria could accumulate in
The ventilation system and cause allergic reactions and disease, they can cause
Symptoms like: Fever, muscle aches, coughing, chills and respiratory congestion.
2. Indoor Contaminants: Indoor air polution can come from anything and everything,
For instance: carpets, copiers, paints, pressed wood and a whole lot more!
3. Outdoor Contaminants: Garages and regular traffic could cause a high level of
Combustion exhaust to enter a building through vents and windows.
4. Inadequate Ventilation: The last but not the least! Very common problem we
See on day to day basis at work, Unfortunately Ventilation requirements were lowered
During the energy crises of the 1970`s to very low rates to save energy by keeping
Heated and air conditioned air recirculating. Many buildings constructed in the late
20th century still have the lower ventilation rates!
What can you do about Sick Building Syndrome?
The wise would say “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” and that is certainly true here.
• Building owners should make sure they consult an indoor air quality specialist
At all times.
• Make sure that their buildings are ventilated according to local building codes.
• To get the Ventilation systems regularly cleaned and tested.
• Any stained ceiling or carpeting should be replaced.
• Air filters should be cleaned/replaced on schedule and smoking moved outdoors.
• Any visible mold is a sign of much more than cannot be seen!
If you suspect your building is “sick” call in professionals for all
Your indoor air quality needs, we can clean and sanitize the HVAC
System and improve over all performance of ventilation systems.
If you live in Toronto-Ontario-Canada Dust Chasers is your go to source
For indoor air quality, for more info visit duct cleaning toronto.
For More Information Visit Us On Facebook.
Follow Us On Instagram.
Visit Our Website.